Florida's Native and Naturalized Orchids
An educational photographic site dedicated to our natural treasures
LinksVisit the Florida Native Orchids Blog - Click Here
Please note that we have no control over the content of the sites presented on this links page. Follow links at your own risk.
Native orchid, photography, and general botany links:
- Native Orchid Conference - forum dedicated to discussion of all things related to native orchids of the United States and Canada. This group also puts out a quarterly journal and hosts an annual conference that changes location each year.
- Atlas of Florida Vascular Plants- great site for researching information about Florida's native flora. Note the author of the images of Pteroglossaspis pottsii on the website.
- University of Florida Herbarium- has the ability to search many herbarium records related to native flora, including orchids.
- GhostOrchid.info- information site on Florida's ghost orchids, maintained by Chris and Misti Little.
- Orchidspecies.com- probably the largest assemblage of information on orchid species on-line, including species native to Florida.
- Orchidworks.com- site run by an AOS awards photographer, Greg Allikas. Also includes photos of Florida natives and natives of other areas in situ.
- My Florida Wildlife- Larry Roberts' collection of wildlife and other natural photos, as well as information on all sorts of wildlands in Florida. Includes a section dedicated specifically to orchids.
- Wild Florida Photo- Paul Rebmann's photographic collection of Florida's fauna and flora.
- Rick Cruz Photography- Rick Cruz's photographs of south Florida scenery, animals, and flora - includes a number of native orchid photos. Very interesting use of digital techniques to make subtly colored subjects stand out from a grayscale background.
- Florida Native Plant Society- site dedicated to "promote the preservation, conservation, and restoration of the native plants and native plant communities of Florida."
- Florida Nature Photography- site maintained by Rich and Galina Leighton in Tallahassee, FL. Has quite a collection of native orchid photographs.
Places to see native orchids (Please NOTE: please do not collect the orchids. Leave them for others to enjoy after you leave.):
- Apalachicola National Forest - spring and fall bring a profusion of native terrestrial orchids (and one epiphytic one) in various habitats in this vast tract of land. S.R. 65 south of Hosford, FL is an especially good place to see Grass Pinks and various fringe orchids in their respective seasons.
- Myakka River State Park - one of the best places to see Encyclia tampensis in full glory!
- Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve - home to a wide array of native orchids.
- Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary - home of the "SuperGhost": one of the largest ghost orchids ever found in the state of Florida and one that doesn't require getting wet and muddy to go see it.
- Everglades National Park - need I say more?
- Big Cypress National Preserve - need I say more?
Places that sell cultivated plants of one or more native species of orchids:
- Andy's Orchids - Species specialist. Native orchids may show up on his list from time-to-time.
- Botanica, Ltd. - Sells seedlings and somewhat more established ghost orchids.
- Carter and Holmes Orchids - Home of the famous Encyclia tampensis fma albolabia 'Mendenhall' AM/AOS (i.e. a white-lipped form of Enc. tampensis).
- Grasspinkorchids.com - vendor that sells Grass Pink Orchid (Calopogon tuberosus) as well as species and hyrids of Bletilla orchids.
- Oak Hill Gardens - Sells seedlings of ghost orchids, and occasionally other species known to inhabit Florida.
- Orchids, Ltd. - Several Florida species are offered on their listing. Be sure to check out their weekly in spike/in bloom section for instant gratification.
- Santa Barbara Orchid Estate - several Florida species are offered on their listings. Be sure to check out their "Orchid of the Day" link, which features an orchid species or hybrid either in spike or at a bit of a discount.
- Troy Meyers Conservatory - Primarily a flasking service (where he'll flask your seed for free in exchange for the right to sell seedlings of the flasked seed). Often has established seedlings for sale (which occasionally include native orchids).
General orchid and orchid hobbyist information sites:
- American Orchid Society - General orchid resource for orchid enthusiasts.
- Orchids Interactive Forum - On-line forum devoted to many aspects of the orchid growing hobby.
- The Orchid Source Forum - On-line forum devoted to many aspects of the orchid growing hobby.
- The Orchid Board Forum - On-line forum devoted to many aspects of the orchid growing hobby. Includes a sub-forum dedicated to wild orchids.
- Terrestrial Orchid Forum - On-line forum devoted to terrestrial orchids.
- Carlyle A. Luer, The Native Orchids of Florida- the definitive work on Florida's native orchids. Good luck finding a used copy that isn't fairly pricey!!!
- Paul Martin Brown, Wild Orchids of Florida- reference around the size of a large field guide. Quite comprehensive.
Copyright © 2011 Prem Subrahmanyam, All Rights Reserved.
No Text or Images from this web site may be used, in whole or in part, without the express permission of the author.